CardMedic is an innovative and multi award-winning website and mobile app designed to improve communication between frontline healthcare staff and patients, across any barrier – including foreign language; visual, hearing or cognitive impairment; or PPE.
Written simply and succinctly by clinical experts, CardMedic encompasses an A-Z collection of digital communication flashcards that replicate clinical conversations around common healthcare topics. Information is presented to patients on a tablet, mobile or desktop, enabling healthcare staff to both ask questions and provide explanations.
CardMedic is a “One Stop Communication Shop” with the ability to flex at the point-of-care to meet any communication need, at the touch of a button. Content is multi-lingual, available in EasyRead with pictures, British Sign Language and a read-aloud mode. It also hosts an integrated translation tool with speech-to-text, to support conversations extending beyond the flashcards.
CardMedic is available as both a freemium model with free access to the emergency flashcards with the above-mentioned functionality, as well as an annual subscription model for healthcare settings to purchase. The subscription service offers access to the full suite of content with enhanced features and functionality, including the ability to customise content and access additional languages.
CardMedic is readily adaptable to use in any healthcare setting including primary, secondary or tertiary care, pre-hospital, community or residential care, dental practices and pharmacies.
CardiMedic aims to improve patient safety, experience and quality of care, and reduce health inequalities. Our core ethos is to make a positive social impact and ensure we are reaching huge underserved populations with communication challenges.
CardMedic supports legislation including the NHS Long Term Plan, NHS England’s Accessible Information Standard, Equality Act, Human Rights Act and the Equality and Human Rights Commission.
– From concept to launch in 72 hours, CardMedic has had over 46,000 users in 120
countries and 16,000 app downloads since 1 st April 2020.
– With huge thanks to NAPGET, we were able to fund initial development of the website, open Apple and Google app store developer accounts, and a register the Trade Mark and Logo applications.
– CardMedic has been endorsed by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE).
– Endorsed by national patient safety bodies: Patient Safety Learning (UK) and Patient Safety Learning (USA).
– Approved by ORCHA.
– Awarded NHS Digital Data Security and Protection Toolkit clearance.
– Approved by NHS Clinical Safety Standards.
– Recruited by the Department for International Trade for inclusion in the Healthcare UK Digital Health Export Offer, 2020.
– Named in the Department for International Trade’s “Top 25 Ones to Watch List” for international expansion.
Fast-tracked through the Ministry of Defence’s “Defence Medical Services Clinical Research and Innovation Gateway COVID-19 Taskforce” for dissemination to over 70 senior clinicians in NHS Trusts across the UK.
– Alumni of The Hill Market Access Accelerator Program, run by Oxford University, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Oxford Brookes University.
– Part of the NHS Clinical Entrepreneur Program 2021 Cohort.
o Points of Light Award from UK Prime Minister: Volunteer Services to COVID.
o Safe Anaesthesia Liaison Group: National Patient Safety Award.
o Health Services Journal (HSJ) Partnerships Award: Most Effective Contribution to Patient Safety (shortlisted – presentation April 2021).
Dr Rachael Grimaldi